Leaking Atty

AimeeG

Now that I have the "last drops in the bottle" problem solved thanks to all your suggestions, I'm having a new one. What do I do with a leaking atty? I'm direct dripping and only adding two or three drops at a time when it gets that "primer" taste. If I use the cone, I start to get a gurgle after about four times of dripping, so I've stopped using it. What am I doing wrong? I've watched all the videos. I'm going through napkins like crazy and feel like I'm wasting too much juice. The atty I'm using is a LR one and I've used it for about two weeks and it's always done the same thing. I feel like my tag line should be "drip, vape, wipe, repeat". Anyone? Thanks!

I can't get the hang of it.I get juice in my mouth. My attys don't leak but when I put my eGo in a case I've been using I notice the fabric in the case is absorbing the juice. Smells good but hate to waste this stuff. Tried putting into little ziplock bags and juice leaks out during the day. So I've been cleaning out sample bottles and filling them with the days juice of choice. I'm going through juice like Grant went through Richmond. Day 90 tomorrow, wish I had my new toy to play with but WU got slammed with orders. I ordered a new mega 510 atty cause my first one died, come to think of it it was kind of messy. Wiped it off a lot and always had sticky hands.

I bought bags of white hankies. A clean hankie everyday is a necessary vaping accessory for me. I recommend hankies over napkins for leaking atties and cleaning atty battery connections. Sometimes when using napkins to clean atty battery connections you can get little parts of napkin stuck. Also, hankies absorb the juice better so cleaning is less messy and sticky.

Anyway, as long as your eGo is vaping and not clogged I wouldn't worry to much about the gurgling. I only clean the juice off of my atty and inside the cone when I change batteries. When doing that the atty seems pretty soaked in juice but it seems like a lot less juice than leaks out on my other units. I suspect that the cone holding in the leaked juice and the air flow from the top of the cone causes most of the juice to be sucked back in. The gurgling might be juice being sucked back in. That's one of the big things I like about the cone. It is less messy and seems to save juice. Other than the gurgling sound annoying you it isn't much of a problem. I'm gurgling my atty right now. Now if your having a problem with a lot of juice coming out of the top of the cone then you are probably over dripping.

I haven't tried one but one of those cone shaped eGo atties might help with the gurgling but by their design it looks like the air flow comes from the bottom of the cone which would cause juice to leak on your unit.

Hi Aimee. Gurgling probably means you have a flooded atty. Flooding your atty from time to time is inevitable. I am more prone to flooding when DD vs using carts, yet prefer DD.

Have you tried blowing through from the battery end? Like Schizo I have a couple of things I can't live without:

My vape rags are dark brown washcloths - never confused with any others used in the home

My travel box of q-tips

1. wipe the bottom of the atty

2. q-tip the inside of the battery connector well

3. check that the battery end has cooled then blow through from the battery end toward the mouth into my vape rag

- slowly twist (ie: clockwise) the atty and continue to blow really hard

- some say wear goggles when doing this

4. reattach to battery and vape gently to see whether or not you need to add juice;

I typically do not - I picture the liquid resaturating the coil/bridge/wick (if you leave yours in tact) from the bottom

up as I blow through. I can vape on that several times before needing to redrip.

* note: I know it seems like a lot. This took me at least a couple of minutes, if not more, when I first started but I'm now able to do it all in mere seconds.

I've found that dd'ing into a hot or very warm atty immediately warms (thins) the juice and that will almost always cause a flood. In this case it's not necessarily about over dripping.

Also if you remove the cone for a while you may be able to better gauge how many drops your atomizer can handle without leaking. With the cone on you don't always know when you've leaked. If you remove it then you'll figure it out pretty quickly. Another thing to consider is how thick liquid is. VG will vape longer because it requires more heat (I think I said that right). This means that it sits in your atty longer. Sooo .. if you're vaping PG or more PG than VG, etc., then you may have to drip more often or stave off redripping as often for higher VG. Again it's easier for me to gauge this without the cone.

Ok I hope I didn't overwhelm! Good luck though. I like the experience of DD'ing but it does require more .. um .. TLC :baby:

Edited by noXious

noXious,

What is the purpose of the clockwise twist?

I used to blow the juice into the hankie but I got tired of watching that beautiful juice go to waste. Now when I have a flooded atty I lean my head back, close my eyes, and blow the juice up into the atty instead of blowing it down and out. That blows out the flood but keeps the juice in the atty. I put the atty back on and vape before all the juice runs back down and floods again.

Good point about the thickness of the juice. VG is thicker so it leaks slower and floods less. I can flood an atty fast with 100% PG but ever since I started using a mix I rarely flood my atties.

I blow my atty out at least once a day (normally) from the open end (the mouth piece end). Then roll up a little piece of paper towel (about 1" x 1") and insert it into the atty and let it set several minutes. Repeat the paper towel thing 2-3 times. After doing that, it usually takes 5-6 drops to prime the atty.

I have had some atty that just seem more prone to leaking though.

I use paper towels because of the durability. As mentioned above, napkins and tissues tend to come apart leaving little pieces behind.

Edited by Brian

Ok, then, I guess I'm not doing it wrong at all. I do use PG because it seemed on my first attys (that now do not work at all even though I used them only once [maybe I just need to blow them out again]) with the PG/VG mix that it just wouldn't pull at all. I also seem to be a "chain vaper" where I'll puff a good number of times before setting it down to cool. I think that is a strong possibility of my leaking issue, that I'm not letting it cool enough and it gets too thin. I'm going to try adding more drops after it cools down today to see if I get less leakage. One other thing I've noticed is that I'll be getting a really nice hit but the end of it is primer taste and then I'm all bummed. Ah well, it still beats analogs every day!

Unfortunately flooding is one of those things that happens to us all at some time. It is a pain and although in the whole scheme of things it seems like you're wasting a lot of juice you probably aren't loosing as much as you're using. So hang in there and try some of the suggestions on this post and maybe it will help cut down on some of your problem.

Good luck and happy vaping.

The low resistance atties are heating the liquid to a higher temperature and it is probably burning it causing the burnt primer taste.The only way to get rid of it is to blow it out.Some liquids taste better at high voltage/low resistance than others.Sounds like yours doesn't.I have never liked higher voltage all my liquids taste burnt to me so I stick with 4 volts or 3.7.I suppose if your taste buds and sense of smell have not healed yet you might need the high voltage /low resistance to taste anything,I had that problem for the first 7 or 8 months I could not find many liquids I could taste.Noe after a year and a half I am finding some liquids I discounted before taste very good.

noXious,

What is the purpose of the clockwise twist?

I used to blow the juice into the hankie but I got tired of watching that beautiful juice go to waste. Now when I have a flooded atty I lean my head back, close my eyes, and blow the juice up into the atty instead of blowing it down and out. That blows out the flood but keeps the juice in the atty. I put the atty back on and vape before all the juice runs back down and floods again.

Good point about the thickness of the juice. VG is thicker so it leaks slower and floods less. I can flood an atty fast with 100% PG but ever since I started using a mix I rarely flood my atties.

hehe schizo good question. I twist because sometimes my lips will cover those air holes on the side of threading which also get liquid in them. It ensures I'm successfully blowing all the liquid out of all holes.

You have a good point about the liquid too. If you want to conserve that would be the way to go - with eye protection, of course! :)

Isn't it crazy how we can have such a different experience with just minor tweaking and whatnot?

Aimee with that primer taste is the vape at that point also very hot, dry and sort of metallic? If so, then your coil is dry. Try to learn the taste of the "last vape" just before the coil runs dry. If you're vaping lr attys you want to try not to let that happen. It will happen, sure. But I do try to let it cool then re-drip just before that point.

On a side note: Just got new attys AND new juice a couple of days ago. Oh man that first night it seemed I like was flooding my attys left and right (I am alternating two devices to allow for cooling). However, last night I vaped for hours and didn't flood either of them once. This particular juice on these particular attys takes 5 drops if I've vaped it just right and that produces about a dozen really good deep draws, give or take a couple.