Just Ordered A New Bass Guitar

I just ordered a Dean fretless acoustic bass,after my surgery I cannot see me packin an amp and my wife doesn't think being a "Roadie" is for her.I play for a bluegrass gospel band and they kind wish I would get an upright "Billy Bass" but I cannot see that happening.$2000.00 for something that doesn't even look fun to pack or play.I have been using a State Of The Art P bass copy so this will be quite a change for me.I hope it has enough volume to cut it.Anybody ever play one of the acoustic basses?Is frettless very hard?

Way sweet!! Congrats!!

I used to play Bluegrass... had an Ovation guitar, loved it. Was in a small group of friends, we played constantly lol. Miss those good ol' days. Never played electric, so don't know any answers.

Hope your recuperation goes swimmingly well.

I have a Martin D-18 and an Ovation Applause and to be honest with you the Ovation is more consistant ,the Martin is very sensitive to the humidity.I like getting together and jamming with the group ,we practice at a senior apartment complex and all the old folks come down for the show.

That sounds great. I'd love to fiddle around with a fretless but never have. I've been playing bass for about 9 months now ever since I took the position with Nostragarlic, the band I'm currently in. I've owned a base for 15-20 years but never really played it until now. The transition from 6 string wasn't that hard but a totally diffeent mindset. I mostly play guitar at home and bass with the band. Do you play any other instruments? Good luck with your new bass.

Way sweet!! Congrats!!

I used to play Bluegrass... had an Ovation guitar, loved it. Was in a small group of friends, we played constantly lol. Miss those good ol' days. Never played electric, so don't know any answers.

Hope your recuperation goes swimmingly well.

Bluegrass was the first music I played at age 5 on a 4 and 5 string banjo!

My hubby had a Martin.. beautiful guitar and sound, & yes sensitvie too. He ended up gifting it to another friend of ours who took it with him to Nashville to make his first gospel album. Never regretted that one bit, it went to a great guy, and it even got to play along with a famous gospel band while he was out there. (they did his backup!). I love hearing happy stories about guitars, and yours makes me happy too. Your Fretless guitar sounds fun! Can't wait to hear your updates about it. Is it difficult to get a "feel" for it? I'd be fretting without frets lol.

Mike! I love your music, even bookmarked your playlist on my toolbar. I believe you guys will be travelling quite a bit before you know it.

Ha! Hey McQuinn, another Bluegrass appreciater! Mike, do you still find it in your roots? I never could play the Banjo... tried a time or two, ... but I did a great clawhammer style on my Ovation... fun picking the melody while thumbing the base runs and strumming the beat. It was easy then... today I can't even strum haaha, sad but true. Too many days gone by. Hawked the Ovation to pay the old elec bill decades ago and never had the heart to pick up another.

My hubby had a Martin.. beautiful guitar and sound, & yes sensitvie too. He ended up gifting it to another friend of ours who took it with him to Nashville to make his first gospel album. Never regretted that one bit, it went to a great guy, and it even got to play along with a famous gospel band while he was out there. (they did his backup!). I love hearing happy stories about guitars, and yours makes me happy too. Your Fretless guitar sounds fun! Can't wait to hear your updates about it. Is it difficult to get a "feel" for it? I'd be fretting without frets lol.

Mike! I love your music, even bookmarked your playlist on my toolbar. I believe you guys will be travelling quite a bit before you know it.

Ha! Hey McQuinn, another Bluegrass appreciater! Mike, do you still find it in your roots? I never could play the Banjo... tried a time or two, ... but I did a great clawhammer style on my Ovation... fun picking the melody while thumbing the base runs and strumming the beat. It was easy then... today I can't even strum haaha, sad but true. Too many days gone by. Hawked the Ovation to pay the old elec bill decades ago and never had the heart to pick up another.

Thanks alot! I'm working hard on my own songs. Those songs were written by John Hendrickson and I like a lot of them too(he has about 100 songs). He has no problem letting me play guitar on some songs and him on bass but I want to play guitar on songs that I've wrote myself. I do enjoy playing bass and will continue to listen to all types of music. Edited by Mike

I get inspiration from all types of music, there isn't much I don't don't like. I definately am a rock and roller though. Here is another feel good story about the best musician I ever watched play(and still do). My dad. He know how to play the guitar better than anyone I've ever seen. He knows every chord every scale. Every music note, etc. He loves Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed and a slew of people I don't even know who they are. He was in a rock band in the 50's and 60's called "Dimentions" and quit to have a familly(kind of like me when I played with "Local Anesthetic"). He is the one who had a 4 string banjo lying around and that's how I got a hold of it. He then bought two five string banjo's, one for me and one for himself. We no longer have banjo's but we both have guitars. I've also played flute in the 3rd grade. Never was good with Keys(Piano, Keyboard) but I think I read somewhere that Chris is.

I've been thinking about this thread for a couple days and today coming back to work after lunch I was listening to probably the greatest bass lead ever - "Jump Into the Fire" by Harry Nillson. WooHoo! It just doesn't get much better than that. Y'all are probably too young to know that one though. :D But it bloody kicks.

I've been thinking about this thread for a couple days and today coming back to work after lunch I was listening to probably the greatest bass lead ever - "Jump Into the Fire" by Harry Nillson. WooHoo! It just doesn't get much better than that. Y'all are probably too young to know that one though. :D But it bloody kicks.

Funny you mention "bass lead" and "Jump Into the Fire" in the same sentence. It imediately reminded me of Cliff Burton who was laid down a wicked bass solo on Metallica's 1st album which also has a song titled "Jump in the Fire". I wore out that tape playing guitar to it. That's my heavy side! RIP-Cliff

I just ordered a Dean fretless acoustic bass,after my surgery I cannot see me packin an amp and my wife doesn't think being a "Roadie" is for her.I play for a bluegrass gospel band and they kind wish I would get an upright "Billy Bass" but I cannot see that happening.$2000.00 for something that doesn't even look fun to pack or play.I have been using a State Of The Art P bass copy so this will be quite a change for me.I hope it has enough volume to cut it.Anybody ever play one of the acoustic basses?Is frettless very hard?

Sometimes I ramble on and get off subject. Oops. and would like to know more about a fretless bass(or other fretless instruments). I would think it's rather difficult to play loudly with an acoustic with no help from the frets. And the fact that you have to land your fingers where the frets would be instead of just behind them.(I'm guessing) Make sure you give us a review, mcquinn. And yes Dave I'm too young!

Edited by Mike

Nillson Schmillson or something like that I think was the album "can't live" if living is without you was the single,those were the days.

Those sure were the days man!

Mike you ought to track it down sometime, it'll make you want to stand up and play... :D

Those sure were the days man!

Mike you ought to track it down sometime, it'll make you want to stand up and play... :D

You can count on that. (Your never too old or too young to enjoy music from any era)

The bass has peizo pickup in the bridge and a preamp and equaliser if it is not loud enough on its own.I kinda hope I can get away without dragging an amp all the time though.It has fret lines on it ,I guess the novelty is the sound is more like an upright it kinda thunks due to not having the frets you can do slides and other tricks you can't do with frets.Doesn't have the sustain but for some styles that may be a good thing.I still have the P bass copy to fall back on .

The bass has peizo pickup in the bridge and a preamp and equaliser if it is not loud enough on its own.I kinda hope I can get away without dragging an amp all the time though.It has fret lines on it ,I guess the novelty is the sound is more like an upright it kinda thunks due to not having the frets you can do slides and other tricks you can't do with frets.Doesn't have the sustain but for some styles that may be a good thing.I still have the P bass copy to fall back on .

Thanks for this repy, it's kida what I figured but wasn't sure. I'd like to post a youtube link of what I was talking about but I'm not to good with computers(yet) but I'll try. I did enjoy uma's link..............

do you do that?!? I've tried about 10 times! Edited by Mike

LOL Dave! It was my pleasure.

Whoa Mike! That was awesome! I'm glad you found that riff.. I couldn't find anything under my secluded search for the song.

I'm off to the magic mountain to prepare for tomorrows big storm. Will read when phone reception is good, but hate posting from my cell phone. Post some more links, this is great!!

I'm off to the magic mountain to prepare for tomorrows big storm. Will read when phone reception is good, but hate posting from my cell phone. Post some more links, this is great!!

Edited by Mike

Thanks for this repy, it's kida what I figured but wasn't sure. I'd like to post a youtube link of what I was talking about but I'm not to good with computers(yet) but I'll try. I did enjoy uma's link.............. http://www.youtube.c...............Who do you do that?!? I've tried about 10 times!

Whoa Mike, what a great way to wake up!!! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif [hope that looks like a happy crowd!]

Uma I hope you weather the storm okay today. (pun was accidental but I left it in there anyway ;))

Edited by ddavelarsen

Jeeeze that long note was amazing (as were all the notes!)... but also annoying for my old ears lol. The rest rocked though. Beautiful song too. You guys sure know where to find the great ones!

Thanks Dave! Weathered the storm (what little of it happened!) just fine and dandy. :)

The bass finally arrived,it was on backorder for a while.I think I am really going to like it.It seems plenty loud for practicing and the length is similar to my P bass copy.It has a built in tuner .It has more sustain than I thought it would and it is pretty easy to find my way around as it has markers inlaid in the neck.