Mouths Of Babes

Last weekend I was in the grocery store with my granddaughter. We were looking for something unusual and I took a hit off the trusty VP2 while we were standing there. Ashleigh very quietly said, "Grandpa! Did you know you can't smoke in here?!"

Have you ever tried explaining the difference between smoking and vaping to an eight-year-old? The subject kept coming up all afternoon. I don't think I ever convinced her vaping isn't smoking.

Which suggests why the naysayers are naysayers: They're all still eight years old!

I had a different impression of what I thought the thread would be from the title. That's funny. I wouldn't expect someone that young to understand the difference; I guess your point is valid then : )

I know what you mean... my 11 year old is very "interested" in all my gadgets too. I still am finding myself telling her that it's not a toy so don't get any wise ideas! And that I'm only doing it because smoking is so bad for our health compared to this. But I could see it in her eyes... she was really wanting to know what it tasted like after seeing all my different bottles of fancy juices! Sorry kid. You'll have plenty of years to "experiment" with things. NO, I didn't say that part!! :thumbsup:

Interesting point, I have a daughter on the way and I've always wondered what to tell her when she gets old enough to ask "hey Dad what is that?"

Exactly! I was seriously concerned at first. I was waiting for her to ask me if it was some type of "druggy thing" or something. Especially knowing that in Health class that's what she's learning right now. Hasn't happened though... and I think she was just old enough to understand to concept. :thumbsup:

Good point! My little 2year old grandson is always kinda looking and asking me it it's my medicine thing. And he always wants me to make it light up for him. It's hard to make a small child understand, hell it's obviously hard to make some grownups understand. That's why we're fighting a ban.

Good story...tks.

my daughter is almost 5 years old and she completely gets it. she constantly gave me a hard time for smoking (along with my now-ex-wife). when i tell her "you know daddy doesn't smoke any more, right?" and she says "i know, you smoke your fake cigarette now" and says stuff like "it's not smoke, it's steam". i can tell she knows more than i tell her, so i assume her mother has talked to her about it as well, but she clearly understands that there is a difference between smoking and vaping, and that only smoking (analogs) is "bad". but i never really had a "good/bad" conversation with her, she just seems to "know". i think the fact that she can smell the smoke and scent of an analog (and dislikes it) makes all the difference.

however, when my boys (who are now two years old) get older, they will not remember ever having seen me smoke an analog, so it may be a different story.

Edited by Stirfry