510 Tail Pipe Cart Mod

Brian

Messing around with a cart the other day discovered that the top pops right off. One thing led to another and...

1. Cut the bottom of the cart off just below the air vents.

2. Pull the top off of the cart with your thumb nail. It pops right off.

3. In pic #2 you can see the hole in the center of the cart after you remove the top. Use a paper clip to pull out the center ring inside the cart.

4. Use a small screwdriver and hammer to knock out the bridge inside the cart. I did it from the bottom of the cart, putting the screwdriver right in the center. You may have to "chissel" away a little from the sides.

5&6 - What it looks like when you're done. I ran water through it before using it just to make sure there was no lose plastic inside.

I've been using this on my VP2 most of today and it works great and you can direct drip without removing it. Works great for me!

post-1693-12648972876_thumb.jpg

post-1693-126489729483_thumb.jpg

post-1693-126489730086_thumb.jpg

post-1693-126489730655_thumb.jpg

post-1693-126489731346_thumb.jpg

post-1693-126489731968_thumb.jpg

post-1693-12648972876_thumb.jpg

post-1693-126489729483_thumb.jpg

post-1693-126489730086_thumb.jpg

post-1693-126489730655_thumb.jpg

post-1693-126489731346_thumb.jpg

post-1693-126489731968_thumb.jpg

What was the reason for removing the bottom of the cart off below the air vents?

I've been doing that for a long time because of the end melting. By cutting off the end, you don't have to align the cart up with the atty bridge. Also figure any juice that goes into the vents when dripping will be able to seep into the atty easier.

Oh- I think cutting the bottom of the cart off was an idea I got from mcquinn a while back.

Edited by Brian

I've been doing that for a long time because of the end melting. By cutting off the end, you don't have to align the cart up with the atty bridge. Also figure any juice that goes into the vents when dripping will be able to seep into the atty easier.

Thanks for the reply. It makes more sense now for me. I have not had any carts melt on me yet. Fingers crossed. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the reply. It makes more sense now for me. I have not had any carts melt on me yet. Fingers crossed. :thumbsup:

:) I haven't had any serious melting, just a little around the end... nothing that I worried about. However, with that little melting on 3.7V I figured it would be worse @5v on the PT. Guess I'll never find out because I cut the end off all my carts.

Finally a good use for those dumb round carts.I had one end fall off when I dropped it but I didn't see the fortune in it like you did. :thumbsup: I only get the melting on the rare occasion I use 5 volts.I usually use DSE 901 carts with my 510's for the whistle tip and little larger capacity.

Edited by mcquinn

There you go, Brian, being clever again. Great idea. Now you don't have to spend $15. on those metal carts. You can buy more juice instead!!!

I may have to give this a try. I better check my supply of carts first.

:)

And you just got you 1000th post!!! :animier:

Congrats Nana!!! :unworthy:

Thanks for the heads up Brian! This is a great idea, insulates one's tender lips from the 510's excellent heat. Great pics too. Those hands are not unfamiliar with tools. :) I'll give this a try, as I have plenty of carts that I never use. I still need to get some 901 carts though for the whistle tip, which is hands down the only way to vape and drive. :)

This is only partly related but thought I'd throw it in here. Presumably it is, but does anyone know whether a PTB mod is workable in a 901 cart? PTB is about the only way I feel even remotely successful using the juice capacity of a cart vs direct dripping, and there are times I drive far enough that I'd have to drip (which I just really avoid if at all possible - dripping and driving I mean). And I've found that for whatever reason I prefer the 510s to 801s. I seem to get more vapor, perhaps because it's coming through a smaller restriction and is more condensed than in the larger tube of the 801?

• 2 weeks later...

Messing around with a cart the other day discovered that the top pops right off. One thing led to another and...

1. Cut the bottom of the cart off just below the air vents.

2. Pull the top off of the cart with your thumb nail. It pops right off.

3. In pic #2 you can see the hole in the center of the cart after you remove the top. Use a paper clip to pull out the center ring inside the cart.

4. Use a small screwdriver and hammer to knock out the bridge inside the cart. I did it from the bottom of the cart, putting the screwdriver right in the center. You may have to "chissel" away a little from the sides.

5&6 - What it looks like when you're done. I ran water through it before using it just to make sure there was no lose plastic inside.

I've been using this on my VP2 most of today and it works great and you can direct drip without removing it. Works great for me!

I've been doing pretty much that exact same thing... except I take a drill, with a bit just bigger than the mouthpiece hole, and drill through it. After removing the tip I take and drill through that little black ring. Once you do, it sticks nicely to the bit and you just pull it out and take it off and set aside for a bit. Then I drill a hole through the part you are knocking completely out, then replace the little black ring thing. After that, I use some pollyfill I have laying around and put a bit in the space you have left after cutting the end of your cart off in the beginning. Then I took some Gorilla Glue and put a drop in each air vent on the sides. I've also messed around with one that I'm trying now and put a little small "wad" in the mouth-end of the atty, right before putting the little tip back on. This kind of works as a "second filter" for the juice to get trapped in. I was getting really tired of having to pull my carts off to do the dry off / tap on towel thing to keep from drinking the juice! So now I basically have a cart with the atty end cut back that has a "filter" in it that I can change whenever I want. And since it only draws through the main hole, and not the side vents, I've yet to get the dreaded juice "load". Those little short 510 attys get so hot that there is just so much moisture building up... your bound to get a mouthfull at some point. But this little mod has REALLY been working well for me. As a matter of fact I did it to 6 more of my carts for future use!

I think what gets the best airflow is just having the pollyfill in the atty end of the cart... It was too hard to "drag on" with it in the mouth end too. Or maybe I just had too much in there. Anyway... it's SOOO much better now and I don't have to constantly keep wiping off my carts and blowing them out!

Sorry so long... hope it made sense!

Edited by DAYVAPE

Oh- I think cutting the bottom of the cart off was an idea I got from mcquinn a while back.

i was actually just thinking of a solution for this problem. (the problem of sucking juice up through the side vents when dripping)....

i was thinking i could use a mega atty with a regular blank cart (not a mega cart).

does the cart still have enough meat on it (when you cut it down) to keep it in place?

i was actually just thinking of a solution for this problem. (the problem of sucking juice up through the side vents when dripping)....

i was thinking i could use a mega atty with a regular blank cart (not a mega cart).

does the cart still have enough meat on it (when you cut it down) to keep it in place?

I cut mine about 1/8th of an inch from the vents... still plenty left to stay put.

You will still get the juice/moisture up the sidevents unless you do something like I've done.

It solved that issue !! And it's alot easier to do than it was to explain... :thumbsup:

Another EASY tip is this:

The 801 attys have a soft/whistle tip option as a mouthpiece...

take the white cartridge out and the soft rubber tip then fits perfectly on the 510 atty.

Instead of going in it... it goes around it. Works great for me since there are no air vents. I even stuck a small piece of polyfill in the area where the cart used to go. Then I can pull it out and dry it between a papertowel when the need arises... and that's not nearly as often as using a regular 510 cart w/ vents!

Edited by DAYVAPE

Yep, it holds fine and I've never been juiced since using this. Not sure using a regular cart with a mega atty will make a difference since you're still going to have condensation build up in the air vents and inside the cart.

Just wanted to add - I do not put the cap back on. Condensation also builds up under the cap.

Edited by Brian

• 3 weeks later...