Where I Am and where I'm Headed

Driven in every state except Hawaii. And a lot in Canada. Back when I owned my heavy-haul rig, I took a lot of big Caterpillar parts up to the northern territories. I did Ice-Road trucking back before it was cool. (pardon the pun)

What is Ice-Road trucking?

What is Ice-Road trucking?

In northern Canada there are diamond mines that are only accessable by truck during the winter due to the millions of lakes up there. You have to wait till they freeze over to drive on them.

There's a reality show about them on one of the Discovery channel affiliates.

Was it as spooky as they say Josh? Like no land on the horizon and no warning of breakup?

Was a little scary. But it was so cold, I was more concerned with freezing to death. I had to spend $4k just to "winterize" my truck. Glad I don't go that far north anymore.

Well, its been a b!tch the last couple days. I returned a load from Albuquerque, NM to Midland,TX. From there, another drywall load out of Rotan,TX to Killeen,TX. Picking up a load in Houston that goes to Pittsburg, Kansas for monday. This load is supposed to get me home for the w/e, but I don't have enough hours to make it there! So, it looks like I'll be making camp in Houston for the w/e! Bummer. :(

I didn't get my 34hr reset last w/e, so I've been running off my recap this week. I got to the Flying J truckstop just north of Houston with 17min left of my 70hr max. That and my dispatcher decided to send me to Albuquerque for delivery on a wednesday. If he had kept me in Oklahoma or Texas, I'd probably be at home sippin on some Scotch! So, I get to sit in Houston and be sober and without my honey! :(

Care to share your convo with your dispatcher? lol I bet it would be this... I ******************* ****** ***** ******************! Or very close to it. lol

Thats EXACTLY what it would look like! But I'm a sucker for an apology. He apologized and its all good. Its somewhat rare to not get home for a least a night on the weekends. But if he dispatches me on another load like that when I'm low on hours, then I'll refuse the load. We're a "no forced dispatch" company. In the 7+ years I've been with em, I've never refused a load. I'm his go to driver when he needs a favor like switching out loads to get another driver home for the weekend or recovering abandoned trucks. He's scared to death of me quitting! He manages 40 drivers and I'm one of his top 10. I'd never quit over something like this. "There's no crying in trucking!" Lmao

That's what I thought, everything in life is give and take. When you have found an employer that respects you like that, you return that to them as well as the consideration for your brothers on the road with you. All about me, ends in screw you for most ppl.... lol At least you can vape and are safe.

Yep!

Well, checked yelp and the closest vape shop is 4.4 miles away. If it was 2miles or closer... I could walk it, but by the time I got back to the truck, my hip and back would be screaming. I'll just have to ration what I have. Maybe I'll get a load early next week that I can swing thru the homestead and I can pickup my new juices.