Big Rig drivers...

I don't even want to think of California rush hour LMAO!

Josh what is your most memorable day in California rush hour?

Mine is a funny one, at least, I thought it was. (Setup: Headed Northbound on I5 at 8:00am through LA caring a load of Yoplait Yogurt) I was minding my business and tooling down the Highway. Traffic was light (Relative) I was able to get up to 55 mph. I start coming up to an on ramp and a Jeep Cherokee was getting on fully loaded with luggage on the roof rack. I slowed down an let them in. I was slowing and adjusting my safe space. The Jeep started to get up to speed at a bout 45mph the luggage lifted off the Jeep and landed right in front of my truck as he slammed on his breaks. Lucky he saw my grill in his rear view and speed up and merged right. All I saw was cloths underwear and papers plume out behind my truck. I always wondered what the person behind me saw. LOL It was about 15 minutes later it made the Traffic Report on the radio station I was listening to. I lost it and had to pull over because I tears of laughter rolling down my cheeks. "Oh we have a tie up on I5 NB.... An SUV has lost its luggage and was run over by a Semi... The driver had forgot to tie it down. There are cloths and and papers all over the freeway. It a real mess folks." He was snickering through the whole report. It went down in my logs as a trip I'll not ever forget. :D

So when you're driving late at night, what do you do to stay awake? I remember taking 10 hour shifts behind the wheel when we went from Southern Colorado to Fairbanks, Alaska in three days two weeks after I got my first license. White line fever was pretty intense. :D

@Comp, my most memorable... Well, thats censored! Lol.

@Tam, I luckily have Sirius satellite radio in my truck. I can usually find something on that'll entertain me enough to stay awake. I normally don't train drivers full time, so I normally don't drive late into night. I try to start my day early enough so that I can get a decent parking spot before all the truckstops fill up.

The spray mist bottle is a great idea. Will have to try it on my next long drive. Before too much longer I'm going to need to make a trip down to Durango, that idea might come in handy to keep me alert. Thanks! :)

Bizarre... Back in 2000, I hauled a nerve agent to a disposal facility in west central Indiana. I had a federal lead car in front of me and one behind me. I got to bypass all weightstations and inspection stations. That load paid my truck off back then! Oh, and that was the same load that I met my second ex-wife on. And before you ask, I'm on number 3, and she is my charm!

I liked driving at night, less weigh stations and less traffic. ;) Yeah I get the censored. LOL Had a few of those myself. ;)

Most bizarre for me was seeing a big rig in front of me lift off the highway and land on it's side in the ditch. A Tornado that was not on the ground passed over the the top of him lifting his rig right off the road and laid down in the ditch. The driver was ok but his wife was banged up and had been slammed through the windshield. She was alive just hurting and sore. She was back in the sleeper and not strapped in.

Bet that load kept you wide awake all throughout!

And no, I wasn't going to ask. Lol. Just for the record, I'll be my SO's third -- if we ever get around to actually getting formally married. We'll have been together for 20 years this September. That's 18 years longer than his first two put together. :lol:

And on that note sleep is finally calling. Sorry I can't keep you company any longer. :)

Another one springs to mind, now that I'm reminiscing. Back when I was driving for Maverick transportation in 2006, I was going across/thru the Chesapeake bay toll bridge/tunnel. When I was coming up out of a tunnel onto the bridge, I had a seagull fly right into my passenger side windshield. It hit my passenger seat dead and there was blood and feathers everywhere. I LITERALLY filled my underpants. I managed NOT to wreck the truck, but my shorts were totaled! Lol

I liked driving at night, less weigh stations and less traffic. ;) Yeah I get the censored. LOL Had a few of those myself. ;)

Most bizarre for me was seeing a big rig in front of me lift off the highway and land on it's side in the ditch. A Tornado that was not on the ground passed over the the top of him lifting his rig right off the road and laid down in the ditch. The driver was ok but his wife was banged up and had been slammed through the windshield. She was alive just hurting and sore. She was back in the sleeper and not strapped in.

Glad they weren't hurt and you weren't caught up in it. Man, that must've sped up your heart rate!

I could go on for days with stories of driving LOL Those are some good ones Josh. One thing I can say about driving truck no day was ever the same. LOL

I was back far enough not to get more than strong winds, I defiantly put a new crease in my seat that night.

I was in Texas one time I had pulled in to a truck stop to rest. My X GF was with me at the time. She said the truck was rocking so bad she thought it was going to tip over. I sleep through it all. Got out of the truck and the Truck Stop was roofless and a few trucks were tipped over.

Whats the worst accident you came across?

Mine was when I had an SUV full of teenagers passed me doing about 90. It was a habit for me to say out loud "See yeah in the ditch." About 20miles later I came up on the SUV smashed up under a Schneider truck that was exiting off the highway. It was so far under the trailer it went to the mid section of the storage area in the back. The headless body of the driver was still laid out on the pavement.

Been years ago but out on i10 about 35 miles east of huston a kid cut off a driver carrying coil steel. Slam on the breaks and the chains snapped coil rolled right up the deck of the trailer over the cab. Looked like the rig was put in a crusher. All caused from a kid that thought he was hot s.h.i.t. in mommy and daddy's gt

In my flatbed experiance, if all that driver did was slam on his brakes and his coil came lose, his chains weren't tight or he didn't have enough on the coil for the weight. I've had that same scenario before. I locked em up going thru Knoxville, TN and my 46k lb coil didn't move. But my bowels did! Lol

My butt ate the seat up coming out of reno nv. Driving a hemtt with two strikers loaded. Some pos car had a blow out and took out another car infront of me. I didn't think that big heavy a.s.s. rig was every going to stop. No one was hurt but if i didn't get her stopped in time i would have ran right over them. 6 wheel drive double steer tire hemtt is no joke