Something worth reading

I loved to believe it COULD have been true, but everyone would have known that it was HIS dog in the pound, and no pound, where they are constantly under fire for not having enough food for the animals, would keep one indefinitely while the owner goes to war......but I WANTED it to be true.

It's a great story

I'm pretty sure there's a website somewhere that has debunked snopes and this is all perfectly true.

When I was a kid I read a lot of Tom Corbett Space Cadet. It was true then, and it's still true today as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks, you owe me a box.....Crockett freaked cuz I grabbed him and hugged him so hard....Thanks

When I first read the story I thought of you and Crockett. Crockett was one of the lucky ones who transitioned into one loving home to another, though. :)

It's a great story

I'm pretty sure there's a website somewhere that has debunked snopes and this is all perfectly true.

When I was a kid I read a lot of Tom Corbett Space Cadet. It was true then, and it's still true today as far as I'm concerned.

I think it goes along the lines of The Velveteen Rabbit. :)

I do have to say something about calling a dog by the "right" name.

My dog, Dodger, is a rescue. He was tied out most of his first eight months, until the police officer next door had finally seen enough to get probable cause to seize him. It wasn't long after that in which he was dropped off at pound rescue. They first named him Dodger because at first they couldn't get near him unless he was sleeping, if he was loose in the yard or in the run, he would run away, and he loved to run. Then, as he calmed down, they renamed him "Panda" because he's black and white (and brown/brindle). His first two adoptions ended up returning him. They called him Panda. But the real reason was he wouldn't stay where he was "supposed" to sleep (not in the bedrooms, and in the living room behind a gate). But he has separation issues. Also, in one home, he may have run near a toddler and accidentally knocked her over. The first home, they left him out in the living room the first night, he woke them up at 7 am the next morning by jumping on them (he needed out). The second night, they put the baby gate up, and he jumped the gate and they found him the next morning sleeping with their two year old in the toddler bed.

Second home....all the dogs slept in the living room, again, behind a baby gate. Dodger didn't conform to this, and they didn't make an effort to train him to this, either. Back he went to rescue.

So he comes to us. He has his own bed, nice and long, two feet from our bed. It took MAYBE two weeks to train him to GET on the bed and get off our bed and stay off our bed. If he wasn't so darned big, he could have slept in bed with us. Our previous dog, Loth did, but she was only 40 pounds, not 90. For the first few weeks, on the weekends, he would still wake me up by jumping on me, licking me awake, paws on my shoulders, because he needed to go out at 6 - 7 am, until he adjusted to cockamamie schedules. By the time a month rolled around, at the words, "it's time," he would automatically get off the bed. He just needed his own space, near his owner,

Paul, from Pound Rescue, credits him to adapting to our home so well because WANTED to be called Dodger, and not Panda, but I think it was adjusting for his separation issues.

He still has separation issues. It was only this semester when SO was gone until 9:30 EVERY Thursday night that he would eat a full dinner when SO wasn't home, unless he was starved, like the time we were gone on an overnight retreat. He still won't even start eating if both of us aren't home and it's just the kids unless it's fairly late - like 7 or so. He has to eat dinner in the same room we eat dinner in, which is the living room. If we put his bowl in the kitchen, he stopped eating his dinner in there. He just recently started eating his breakfast in there again, and we've had him for years. If we leave him a treat, like a rawhide chewie when we leave, he still won't eat it while we are gone if we are both gone, but he will devour his peanut butter Kongs when we are gone because he can't resist peanut butter....or chocolate.....or salami.