Interesting Product

irwink

For whatever reason I seemed to have missed the debut of these:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_69105-1571-TM8USBWCC6_0__?productId=3727239&Ntt=pass+and+seymour+usb&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dpass%2Band%2Bseymour%2Busb&facetInfo=&utm_source=legrand.us&utm_medium=redirect

A combination electrical receptacle outlet and USB charging ports. News to me!

So Jeff and Bebop do yall recommend these things? How many do you think 1 person needs and what is their advantages?

What I linked to replaces a standard wall outlet. The advantages should be apparent if you can afford to lose 1/2 of a standard duplex receptacle while replacing it with the usb ports. No more more charging from a computer/laptop or potentially flaky wall adapter. The only downside is that an electrician or somebody who knows what they're doing needs to install it.

They are approved for use. I learned about them in a National Electrical Code forum earlier today. Flaky stuff doesn't get approved for use.

There are other models ( Hubbard) that still maintain both receptacles along with 2 usb ports. The advantage for me was not losing the receptacle outlets for other uses. We use the usb ports for ecig batteries as well as phone charging.

Jeff did the one you got had to be put in by an electrician? I think it would be helpful for me also but those electricians are expensive dudes.

The one I have is a self contained unit that plugs into an existing receptacle. No electrician needed. I believe I got mine at Best Buy.

We don't have enough outlets in our house to lose a plug in slot. Heck, a couple of the outlets don't work, and with original wiring, I'm not letting my SO touch it until we can afford and electrician (all on the same line, it seems, and the current stops mid line, according to the voltmeter).