Exploding batteries

Grant951

My parents saw on the news that someone's battery exploded. I'm fairly confident in mine (I have a nitecore charger for my efests) and a charger from Vapedudes for my ego and a charger from innokin for my iTastevv. Is it just the cheapy chargers and batteries that have been exploding? I'd like to come to them with some good information that will assure them I won't be burning their house down.

A lot of these things are happening because they aren't following instructions. Charging an eGo style battery from a USB port, for example, or (I've seen a lot of these), it's sitting on an upholstered surface, or even worse, a carpet, where it can EASILY overheat while charging. There was one case where a woman was even charging her battery in a hot car and it exploded. These things are heat sensitive.

Plus, you aren't supposed to leave the batteries unsupervised while charging. It's a no-no. The guys at the store aren't always great at giving the best instructions. One woman was told she could use just "any charger" (on an eGo style battery). And often, these starter kits don't come with instructions.

In the say, six or so stories I've seen since I've been vaping, I haven't kept links to video reports of the stories, however, it might be one of the stories linked on the forums. And you yourself have advised NOT to charge certain types of batteries from USB ports (I'm sorry, specifically from a computer on one that wasn't made to be charged off a computer) because they have no over charge protection (although hubby says the overcharge protection is built into the battery, not the charging mechanism).

Frankly, I look at a story, I see it, I note what may or may not be wrong with what they were doing. I ask myself do I engage in that risky behavior, or am I likely to? And then I move on. The news channels play up these stories as the hidden dangers you don't know about because it gets ratings, and it's sensationalism.

I have NEVER advised against charging off a computers USB. I have been using my comp USB for years. Other than the mods with stacked batteries, I would bet all the exploding batt stories are sub par chargers and/or cheap batteries.

Your folks just might be looking out for you.

One needs to be safe with any battery. Good ventilation for your charger is a must. Proper power supplying said charger is also good.

Showing your parents you're aware of these issues and you've set up your stuff in the best way with safety in mind should ease them.

I have NEVER advised against charging off a computers USB. I have been using my comp USB for years. Other than the mods with stacked batteries, I would bet all the exploding batt stories are sub par chargers and/or cheap batteries.

Okay, I apologize, I just looked up one of the threads, and a couple of people said it, just not you. I thought it was you. Someone said overcharge protection was in plug in, like I said earlier, hubby says overcharge protection is in the battery itself. I don't know, I don't know about that stuff, so could someone who knows about these things please weigh in?

In one of the threads, someone said the the thing most of the stories had in common is that they were being charged via comp USB port OR in a car, but I saw one that wasn't, actually, I think I saw two, but like I said, what I think they ALL had in common (except the ones in the cars) was they were stick batteries sitting on either an upholstered surface (one was actually a freaking bed) or directly on the carpet. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but doesn't common sense tell you not to do that? I mean, I wouldn't even set a cordless phone in it's base/charger on a carpet, and that's probably safe, since the battery isn't touching the floor, only the charging base.

OP, your parents are concerned about you. Your e-fest charger is good, just don't go sitting on anything other than a hard surface. It also has overcharge protection built in, and won't charge if the batteries are put in backwards. If you have a charger MADE for eGo batteries, you're good that way, as well, as long as you again, set it on a hard surface to charge, and, just to be safe, don't set either of those (the e-fest or the eGo) up to charge and then either leave the house or go to bed. As for the Innoken charger for Itaste, you're good there as well. It was, once again, made for that device. Hard surface, don't leave unattended.

I've had batteries in other devices fail catastrophically. The worst being large computer UPS units. In both occasions, I put off attending to charger warning lights. One nearly burst, another split, destroyed my floor, and cost me all of my rental deposit. All batteries need to be handled with some intelligence. That goes for everything from e-cigs, to phones, to laptops, to cars.

Anything that is USB and follows USB specifications will output 5v. Using a computer to charge an e-cig should be perfectly fine.

The advice against charging on carpeted or upulstered surfaces is good advice. I dont always follow it though. My ego lays next to me on the bed.

If you drop your e-cig, make sure the battery connector and casing aren't damage before charging. If your charger doesnt light up the way you expect it, dont charge. (ie, if you need to "trick" your charger in to charging your battery, best not to use that battery on that charger).

And always use the right charger!

Surprised no one mentioned about MOD batteries exploding..

Those joytech c-twist and batteries of that nature have built in fuses and safeties. The battery will shut down before causing any damage. [granted you have a good battery] I can also see how charging can cause to heating but just use common knowledge.

The big thing is with Mechanical MODs and batteries and people that build their own coils. Batteries are only rated to a certain ohm resistance before its too much for the battery and the battery gets compromised. the battery can leak, expand, and if the gasses cannot escape from the mod, explode.

Everyone just please research and vape safely. Don't be reckless in vaping. Especially those who use mechanical MODs. You don't want to build a sub ohm coil and vape it with a 18350.

Just Be Safe

Anything that is USB and follows USB specifications will output 5v. Using a computer to charge an e-cig should be perfectly fine.

The advice against charging on carpeted or upulstered surfaces is good advice. I dont always follow it though. My ego lays next to me on the bed.

If you drop your e-cig, make sure the battery connector and casing aren't damage before charging. If your charger doesnt light up the way you expect it, dont charge. (ie, if you need to "trick" your charger in to charging your battery, best not to use that battery on that charger).

And always use the right charger!

The thing is, starter eGos are not made to be charged at 5 volts. That's why they sell a specific charger for them, and tell them don't plug the USB part of the cord into anything but the original wall wart - it will put out too much power to charge the eGo safely.

The thing is, starter eGos are not made to be charged at 5 volts. That's why they sell a specific charger for them, and tell them don't plug the USB part of the cord into anything but the original wall wart - it will put out too much power to charge the eGo safely.

Its not the input to the USB charger that is the issue its the output of the charger. The wall wart has nothing to do with it. My eGo charger is 5V input and 4.2 output. Works fine using the computer USB.

Its not the input to the USB charger that is the issue its the output of the charger. The wall wart has nothing to do with it. My eGo charger is 5V input and 4.2 output. Works fine using the computer USB.

Where a lot people go wrong is amps. They will plug an e-cig into say the wart for their cell phone, It's USB right?, cranking way to many amps into a e-cig batt and BOOM!

Bingo! The salesman didn't say amps, but said don't use it with any charger but this one, you're cell phone charger, even if it has a USB outlet, will fry it.

Where a lot people go wrong is amps. They will plug an e-cig into say the wart for their cell phone, It's USB right?, cranking way to many amps into a e-cig batt and BOOM!

Bingo! The salesman didn't say amps, but said don't use it with any charger but this one, you're cell phone charger, even if it has a USB outlet, will fry it.

The wart/adapter is not the charger. The charger regulates the voltage ( 4.2v) and amperage ( 420ma) to the battery.

This is the charger

1071.jpg

Copied directly from Joyetech:

6.4 Charging the Joye eGo-C 650,900,1000mAh battery: To charge the battery, screw the threaded side of the battery to the USB charger and then connect the USB port to the wall adapter or the computer. The LED light on the button will flash 5 times then go out, and the LED on the USB charger will turn red, indicating the battery is charging. When the LED light on the charger turns green, it means the charge is finished.

I understand what your saying Jeff but there is 1 piece of the equation missing. These chargers have an input of 5v (amps not shown) If you look at your wall plug or Wart it will also have an input output converting AC to DC. Volts and Amps Does it show the Amps or mA? Does the wall wart Output match the Input of your Ecig charger?

I have two wall warts here 1 from my Tablet 1 from my Cell phone

Cell Wart output

5v 1.5amps DC

Tablet Wart output

15v 1.2amps

Now plug in your E-Cig charger to these what would that do?

If I plug in to the Cell wart (depending on the Amp input it can take not listed *Unknowen) not much. But if the amp output of this exceeds what the E-Cig chager can handle for input it will cause your E-cig charger to fail regardless of its output.

If you plug it into the wart for the tablet at 15v you are already over taxing the input of your e c-cig charger, Now the big unknown what is the amp input for the E-cig charger? is 1.2amps to much? You don't know. if that is over the input rating of the e-cig charger it again fails all bets are off Go Boom.

See what I'm saying? If you did not get a wall wart with your e-cig charger Don't just plug it into one because the plug fits..... Your unit was meant to be charged in a computer USB not a wall wart. Only use a wall wart if your E-cig came with one and only that wall wart... :)

99.9% of the e-cig USB chargers are made to charge in a computer USB outlet or the wall wart that came with it, not just any and every wall wart you may have.

The warts/adapters do not generate the amps. They only provide it upon demand. When I plug a charger into the adapter it is not suddenly overcome with 2 amps of power. It will provide it if needed. If your tablet wart is 15V I doubt it has a USB connection. the charger for my ecig has an input rating of 500ma, this doesn't mean I could not safely plug it into a wart that can provide up to 2 amps( 2000ma). I do agree that if there is a 15v wart with a USB connection ( I have never seen one) one should not use it for charging the ecig battery.

You are right they don't generate amps they mostly have a rated constant output. It is the same with laptop power supplies and any other "converter". If you were touch 220volt line caring only 500ma you would more than likely survive. But if you were touch a 12 volt line carrying 50amps you would likely die. Same with electronics in general.

Say you have a wart that reads output 500ma-1.5 amps then yes it will regulate the amps.

Let me give a different example

You have a laptop that requires 12vdc, at 4,2amps input. Your power supply blows out... Oh but you have one that has a plug that fits but it has an output of 12vdc at 9amps Oh yes it should work...Plug it turn on laptop and it will smoke and fry. Why, because you sent too many amps into it. Now say you have a power supply that runs at 15vdc but only puts out 3.9 amps. plug fits. You do the same... plug it in turn on your laptop and what happens? You surf the internet the rest of the night.

We dealt with these issues all the time in the computer shop with laptops and finding a power supply to get someone up an working again.

E-cigs are no different.

Asus TF300 Series Pad Wall Wart output 15vdc at 1.2 amp

61tYDd4Uq1L._SL1500_.jpg

OK, I have reread this whole topic from post one to post end again and I am still confused. I hate to admit it because if I understand right I should not be using cell phone chargers to charge my batteries, but I do. I have a couple of wall chargers that came with kits and a couple of wall chargers that were extras from cell phones. I don't know where chargers go. They are like socks, they just disappear. That and when the kids manage to lose theirs I give them one of mine. I should just go ahead and buy a case of them the way I'm going through them. And if all this is a fact I sure don't want to give one of my kids the wrong wall charger and it blow up on them and my grand kids. So please in simple english answer one question for me. Do I need to get rid of all these extra cell phone wall chargers and go buy some more wall chargers that are for E-Cig charging only? I do not charge mods. The biggest thing I charge is my 1300s.