Resistance/power

spydre

Okay, I DO have a chart (and an app on my phone) that can tell me what power level is too high for what resistance coil I have, but I've been told that it's probably pretty conservative. Providing it does not burn the juice, is 7 watts too much to use with a 1.8 ohm resistance? If it needs to be lower (I'm sure it wouldn't need to be too much lower) I can't go lower than 6 watts, because that's the lowest my MVP goes, power-wise. I guess for the 5 watt range, I would have to adjust it voltage wise, but that's only 3.0 and 3.2 voltage, and I dunno, even with 1.8 resistance, bottom level voltage, to me, doesn't seem like it would be very good.

Thanks in advance.

Just pick a resistance and setting you like and enjoy. Makes my head hurt doing all that math. I don't bother with all that variable volt/watt stuff but It appears to me if you set it to 7 watts it would adjust the voltage based on the resistance you have put on and deliver the same 7 watts of heat.

Yeah, it would. I was just making sure that 7 watts isn't too much power to push through a 1.8. I know it's not too much for a 2.2, but my ohms chart - well, no, I guess even on my conservative resistance chart, it says I shouldn't be at risk of a burn out or melt down at 1.8 with 7.5 watts (which is what I've bumped up to) and 8 watts may be okay.

At those levels I don't expect a meltdown.. If it tastes bunt, turn it down, if it don't ...crank that **** up till it does...then turn it down....find your sweet spot, and forget the numbers.....

I like your thinking! Except, if it's wattage, I probably wouldn't forget the number, but I'll make a note of it anyway. You need to make that crank that **** up your sig line, though. Seriously.

I pretty much vape 1.8s now at 7w.

Cool, good to know.

You can run any coil at up to 8 watts without much of a risk of burnout, regardless of its stated (or metered) resistance. Above 8 watts, you risk popping your coil if it's made with a higher gauge (smaller diameter) wire.

You can run any coil at up to 8 watts without much of a risk of burnout, regardless of its stated (or metered) resistance. Above 8 watts, you risk popping your coil if it's made with a higher gauge (smaller diameter) wire.

Does higher gauge wire mean lower resistance?

Does higher gauge wire mean lower resistance?

Not necessarily...you can make a 1.8Ω coil from just about any gauge wire. The problem with higher gauge wire is that it's thinner so it tends to burn out easier. Most factory-made coils are made with very small diameter resistance wire, so you're pretty much limited to around 8 watt with them. I wrap my own 1.8Ω BCC coils (Kanger Protank, EVOD, etc.) using 32 gauge Kanthal, and I have never had one pop...even at 10 watts. I use 29 gauge on my Genesis RBA coils and vape them at 15+ watts...I've never had one of those pop either.

Not necessarily...you can make a 1.8Ω coil from just about any gauge wire. The problem with higher gauge wire is that it's thinner so it tends to burn out easier. Most factory-made coils are made with very small diameter resistance wire, so you're pretty much limited to around 8 watt with them. I wrap my own 1.8Ω BCC coils (Kanger Protank, EVOD, etc.) using 32 gauge Kanthal, and I have never had one pop...even at 10 watts. I use 29 gauge on my Genesis RBA coils and vape them at 15+ watts...I've never had one of those pop either.

What resistance are you running ten watts with? Doesn't that burn the juice?

Trou, you run HOW many watts? You skipped the numbr in that sentance.

What resistance are you running ten watts with? Doesn't that burn the juice?

I often run 10 watts with a 1.8Ω hand rolled Kanger Protank coil, and a mechanical mod with a freshly charged battery (4.2v) paired to a Genesis RBA with a 1Ω coil yields just over 17 watts (V² / R = P).

Users of rebuildable atomizers can testify that it doesn't "burn the juice". In fact, I know of no other device that produces the amount of flavor or vapor that an RBA does (an HH.357 dripping atty comes awful danged close with the flavor part, though).

Edited by Rixter

Well, today, 1.8 ohms is working well with my honey wood at 7 1/2 watts. I switched the coil out last night, because until I get that twist or spinner for christmas, when the MVP is charging, I'm using just an eGo starter battery....and well, with a 2.5 coil on regular battery, it sucked. So I switched out the coils, and that made it better overnight - I was able to push, I think 5.6 watts of power at the voltage non variables push out? That's a heck of a lot better than what you get at 2.5 ohms resistance. 7.5 is good, but 8 watts, I tried, at least with the honey wood, is borderline on a 1.8 coil. Well, actually, the coil is registering as 2.0. When I switch juices/tanks, I'm going to bump it up to 8 watts, but that will have a higher resistance coil in it.

Okay, I DO have a chart (and an app on my phone) that can tell me what power level is too high for what resistance coil I have, but I've been told that it's probably pretty conservative. Providing it does not burn the juice, is 7 watts too much to use with a 1.8 ohm resistance? If it needs to be lower (I'm sure it wouldn't need to be too much lower) I can't go lower than 6 watts, because that's the lowest my MVP goes, power-wise. I guess for the 5 watt range, I would have to adjust it voltage wise, but that's only 3.0 and 3.2 voltage, and I dunno, even with 1.8 resistance, bottom level voltage, to me, doesn't seem like it would be very good.

Thanks in advance.

What's the app called?

Vape, for Android.

Keeps track of your last day/time smoked, how long you've been without, how much you've saved, your vaping expenses if you enter them, and then your break even date, where you've saved more than you spent on vaping, how many cigarettes you haven't smoked, etc. You can also save DIY recipes. Achievements, health improvement information, etc.

Actually, the watt calculator is more conservative even than the chart that I found (that coincidentally is somewhere on these forums as well), with even that chart showing 2 ohms is still green with 8 watts; whereas the watt calculator on vape shows it as "yellow", so borderline.

Edited by spydre