Cold Weather Vs. Battery

Viper Ron

Thanks for the link Uma, kinda makes since that it would effect it in some way! I guess I should of stated in the post that my wife left her spare batt in the car and she told me it was fully charged and when she needed it it lasted like only 2 hours? Seems strange to me but that's what she's saying.

Mind you, This is only personal experience and not very scientific. I have left batteries in my Jeep many times over night in temps up to(or down to) below zero(occasionally colorado gets that cold) and When used while it was cold, the charge did seem to be quite a bit less than normal, but once I recharged them and had them back to a more reasonable temp, they seemed to work fine.

On the other hand, I have had the heat in Arizona kill a battery......

Yes Kitsune that seems to be the case with my wife's batt a new charge and all is good but thought I'd bring it up seeing the batt is a brand new one not even a month old! Well I guess the bottom line is not to keep them in the cold!

The cold will slow down the chemical reaction that makes the electrons flow.But if you have it in your pocket and take it out to use it should not make any difference.Just if you leave it out in the cold Jeep or whatnot.

I tend to notice the batteries take a bit more beating in cold wether. While I was out in Colorado visiting Bird I noticed my batteries didn't last quite as long. Though nothing dramatic. I assume, like as been mentioned above, it's silmiar to a car battery. You need more amp to crank the motor in the cold. I'm not sure why honestly, but maybe it's related.