Ego Wall Charger

Aes

Question: does the wall charger do anything special? My friend (who is a mod here and an experienced vaper) told me to only use the wall charger, not a regular USB adaptor. Just wanna understand what exactly makes the wall charger special as compared to using the USB with any other wall power source (Ie, my iPhone wall plug or any of the handfull of plugs I have accumulated from devices)

I have used both to charge my Ego batteries. Never really paid attention to why one was better than the other. I actually had to ask this same question so I could post an answer. :lol:

The wall charger works faster!

Edited by BirdDog

Not for me it isn't. Using my eGo wall charger takes approximately twice as long as the charger I put into the USB port in my computer. :iiam:

Must be a fast computer - sorry couldn't resist!

Finally was able to do a little test. I have two batteries that I received at the same time and have been rotating between them at night, so they've roughly been used the same. They both ran out of battery life today. So while I was using a third battery (gotta love those backups!), I put one on the wall charger (my original charger that came with my original kit and says "Janty" on it) and one on a charger that I put into the USB of my super-"fast"-four-year-old-MacBookPro (I ordered this one from somewhere, maybe here at VT store when someone mentioned that her/his charger stopped working and I realized I needed a back-up for that). Verdict: The USB charger got my battery to green in two hours and forty minutes. Currently now at four hours, the wall charger one is still red. Thoughts?

I honestly don't know. The original one with "Janty" on it is the one I plug into the wall and came with my original kit. The other one doesn't say anything on it and I use it at my computer.

I tell you what. Next time those same two batteries lose their power, I'll put the one that says "Janty" on my computer and the other one that I'm currently using in the computer in the wall charger USB slot. Then we'll know, I guess, right?

So I did round two of the test. The same two batteries lost their power. I kept the same battery with the same type of charging, so battery number one was with the computer USB and the second on the wall charger. The only thing that I changed was the cord. The cord that had been with the wall charger (and says Janty on it) plugged into my computer and battery number one. It took around five hours to charge. The one on the wall charger with battery number two (with no wording on it and I may have purchased from VT) took three and a half hours.

It's the cord, not the wall or USB/computer set up. The Janty one is decidedly slower. Now, here's the best thing. On that part where you screw the battery in, both cords say the same thing:

Input: DC 5V 500mA

Output: DC 4.2V 420mA

I have definitely used the original one (Janty) more often, but it has always been slow. My original eGo kit batteries would take overnight to charge, or what I imagine to be around six to eight hours.

Any thoughts those of you with technical minds?

I don't really care that one takes longer, but it is a curious thing, no?

hmmm I have used both the wall charger with the usb cord, and just usb cord with both my computer at home, and at work, no matter which method i've used my batteries charge in about 2 hours ??

SO many different results .. strange why everyone's seems to be different

Jeff, it may be a rapid charger, but that does not explain away the fact that they both have written on them the same thing at the part where you screw the battery in, you know? Does your fast charger say something different?

I have 2 rapid chargers and they both say the same thing as yours. I don't know if the rapid chargers are marked differently than the standard USB chargers?

Not to spook ya but using the USB on yer puter to charge yer e smoke could hurt the computer, or so it has been said somewhere here on the boards. Also, I have several wall chargers and USB chargers (I have 12 differant batts, 4 varieties, I even use a wall charger for my passthrus), and if one batt goes green and the other stays red, I change the chargers, cuz one part may have conked out. So, stay safe, keep yer computer for computing, and get either a usb/wall setup ot get a direct wall charger for yer batts. Some kits come with all 3, wall, USB, and car chargers, that's usually a sweet deal.

Edited by Elayna