E-Cig Incentive At Higher Education Institution

I work at an institution of higher education in Ohio. I had recently contacted the Environmental Health and Safety Coordinator to discuss what the University Policy is on vaping. The official I spoke with had never heard of electronic cigarettes and was extremely interested to find out more. He actually came down to my office and I showed him my Ego and how it worked. As a vehement anti-smoker, he was extremely impressed. He called me today to tell me he was submitting a proposal to ban cigarette smoking on campus (it's been in the works for a while due to fire hazards, and litter problems, etc.), but he also stated that he wanted to create a proposal to purchase and distribute E-Cigs to anyone who was interested in quitting smoking. I'm sure it's just in the "brainstorming" phase right now and who knows if they'll actually go through with it, but I thought that was a really cool idea.

Chris - I'll send him your way if he brings it up again :)

highly doubtful the school would allow the distribution of a nicotine product, it would be the same as handing the smokers packs of nicotine gum, it is usually the stand of most schools to try and ban any or all forms of tobacco products and the stigma of nicotine and its addiction will prevent the schools from offering it as an alternative, just being realistic, but it is good that he understands that the e cig is not a tobacco product and a good alternative to smoking, perhaps he will allow its use but will not be able to promote its use... all the bans and bad publicity of the product will make it a controversial subject any way you look at it

highly doubtful the school would allow the distribution of a nicotine product, it would be the same as handing the smokers packs of nicotine gum, it is usually the stand of most schools to try and ban any or all forms of tobacco products and the stigma of nicotine and its addiction will prevent the schools from offering it as an alternative, just being realistic, but it is good that he understands that the e cig is not a tobacco product and a good alternative to smoking, perhaps he will allow its use but will not be able to promote its use... all the bans and bad publicity of the product will make it a controversial subject any way you look at it

You're probably right, but hey, here's hoping ~

I don't know why this would be such a bad idea. If you have a faculty/staff senate or something similar he could bring that up at a meeting. I worked for 10 years at a university near my home. They had designated smoking, far away from the buildings, for the smokers. When there was bad weather you had to tough it or go without. Both made for a miserable smoker to say the least. You might make want to give him a few internet sites, vendors and such that he could distribute or at least be made available for the asking for the smokers out there who haven't thought of quitting but with a no-smoking ban they might just be open to the idea, I know that I would have been. Therefore he would not be promoting the nic delivery but giving folks an alternative to what they won't have. Just a thought.